Kelvinator Wringer Washer

Home   |   Bottom

March 25 2017 I picked this up at the side of the road along with a couple of garden chairs, I had been looking for a wringer washer for years.


Tipped upside down in the shop I began a evaluation, if it turns out to be junk, then I can put it out for scrap.


The rubber wheel of the pump was all wobbly, so remove the pump. I started the ¼ hp GE motor and it runs fine.


Took the pump apart and yuk, the problem started when the set screw on the friction wheel worked loose and would not drive the pump.


Over time the loose set screw allowed the friction wheel to slip on the pump shaft to the point the pump sat idle filled with soap and lint.


I put the pump shaft in the vertical mill and remachined the surface flat. The friction wheel was bored out to .375 friction fit a bronze bushing then bored the bushing to the shaft size of 5/16" drilled the bushing and re tapped to ¼".

Home   |   Bottom   |   Top

The pump housing had two holes eaten through by years of chemical reaction in the acid the soap and who knows what else.


This is the other hole in the pump housing, my Dremel will clean away all the lime and detergent build up to get to bare metal.


Then I started on the pump impeller, YIKES, after all the crud was cleaned away there wasn't too much left.


A lot of the impeller was missing but not to worry I can fix this.


Canadian Tire had what I needed, this is great stuff, I have used it before to repair many things. I have also repaired worn shafts with this and then remachined the part in the lathe.


While the JB was curing I made a replacement gasket for the pump.

Home   |   Bottom   |   Top

Here is the pump idler or friction wheel that makes contact with the driven pully on the agitator transmission, it was also loose on its housing so I used Locktite 404, now it is like new.


The pump is engaged by turning a knob on the front of the washer, the pump only pumps when it is engaged.


The wooden blocks that act as bearings that hold the wringer rollers in place were also in bad shape, they were made from Sugar Maple.


I had some Red Oak that was just about the right size so here they are after soaking in oil for 2 days.


A view of the wringer from above with out the rollers and the bushing blocks.


This sticker from the side of the wringer housing, perhaps purchased 1950's 1960's the phone number, SH. 3-1449, I remember when there was SH. 2, SH stood for Sherwood, then changed to 74, so if dialed today would be 743 1449.

Home   |   Bottom   |   Top

It took days to apply the JB weld, let it cure then reapply and let it cure again for 12 hours.


Cleaning it all up with my Dremel and grease the bushings, apply gasket sealer and reassemble the pump, then reinstall it.


Another problem, the knob above the wringer to apply pressure to the rollers had the threads stripped. As you can see here.


I bored out the bad threads, made a brass insert, pressure fit and locktite the insert in place and an hour later I was done.


The threads 7/16 X 14 on the screw were OK, just the threads on the insert in the top housing were shot.


Kelvinator Of Canada Ltd. Toronto Ontario Serial No.K39616 Model No.K230P Volts 110 Amps 5.0 Cyc60

Home   |   Top